Monday 14 May 2018

A Wonderfully Weird and Wonky House - by Claudia

Hi, servus! How lovely to have you stop by today! It is time for my every-other-Monday project and to be honest I don't have a clue on how to introduce this one....it took a completely different direction than I had intended right after the start and kept doing so during the process and I am still not sure who won - the house or me...lol.




I wanted to create a house that would not only have a wonky roof but also look as if it had become wonky in itself over time...it looks a bit weird too I think (which wasn't intended...but hey - weird and wonky - that's too Ws and I love alliterations...so I have decided to embrace "weird" and find it wonderful instead!)


Calico Craft Parts used:

- Block Style MDF House Kit - Tall with Wonky Roof
- Sheet of Mini MDF Door Wood Shapes
- Sheet of Tiny MDF Window & Door Wood Shapes
- Skeleton Tree MDF Wood Shape - Style 8




Someone in the house has been counting....years? Months? Days (weeks?) before and after a certain date? Who knows...and what has happened to the tree?

To create the marbled effect on the house I experimented with the new DecoArt pouring medium and Americana paints. The picture shows the three colours that I have mixed with the pouring medium (according to the recipe given on the container) - well, actually the picture captured the moment before I stirred the mixes with some Popsicle sticks.


I had primed my wonky house with a thorough coat of DecoArt Chalky Finish paint "primitive" and covered the workspace with a large sheet of paper before I started pouring the paints onto it. I used a tiny glass bowl to keep my house in a "wonky" angle for the paints to properly run and drip. 


Then I used a skewer to drag the poured on paints into each other and create random "fan" patterns.



The Calico Craft Parts windows, door and tree were placed into the wet paint. Then I left everything to dry for at least half a day. 

Using the same paints again I dry brushed some white onto the door and windows and black onto the tree. I also sprinkled on some red from a DecoArt Red Mister for a bit of contrast. 


Using a detail brush I added some patterns, roof tiles and steps.


I added some red by painting the door and a window with red from the Mister and using washi tape.



Other washi tapes added more black and white patterns to the design. 






Look at the weathered and worn front! Maybe the house has been abandoned. It loos as if it needed a thorough make over and a lot of fixing. But you can still sense traces of the love the owners once had for it.







So here it is - my wonderfully wonky house. I hope you like it - weird as it is! 

Hugs and happy crafting!
Claudia
xxx



6 comments:

  1. I love your weird and wonky house! I want to step inside and explore its secrets! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a groovy house Claudia!!
    I am with Julie Ann, I bet it would be just wild, weird and wonderful inside as it is wild,weird,wonderful and wonky outside!!
    What a fun project! thank you for sharing!
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! Thank you all so much, Julie Ann, Cheryl and Jackie (so good to hear you're back and recovering!).
    So happy you like my wonky house - which still feels weird to me ..lol!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Das etwas andere Haus, erinnert mich irgendwie an Hundertwasser, großartig!! Hugs, Kerstin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hach, danke, liebe Kerstin! Dein Vergleich ist sehr schmeichelhaft! ;) XXX

      Delete