Sunday 5 July 2015

Apothecary's ATC - by Alison

Hello everyone, Alison here from Words and Pictures, and today I've an Apothecary's ATC to share with you.


I love the the Apothecary Bottles which form one of the fabulous Mini Wood Shapes sets, and I wanted to play with them to see whether I could get a glassy glossiness going.


I used DecoArt paints in shades of blues and greens to start with.  And I used some Interference blues and greens down one side to add a touch of sparkle as though light is hitting them.


Then I added Glossy Accents to some and crackle glaze to a couple of others.  There's almost no sign of crackling, so I don't know what happened there, but I'm not particularly bothered either!


While the glossy topcoats were drying, I tackled the background.  I used one of the plain ATC blanks (though there are plenty of fancier ATC blanks if you fancy them!), and started by giving it a coat of crackle paint.  Over that I stamped some scribbled equations (from a Brett Weldele set) in Archival ink to go behind all the lotions and potions, and added some shading with some more paint.


I'm a bit cross that I didn't check back with the original placement before the final gluing down of the bottles - I didn't get them quite in the right positions on the finished ATC - bah!  Nonetheless, once I'd added some extra shading for the bottles to "stand on", I was pretty pleased with the result.


I added a word sticker, shaded with similar colours and finished with a topcoat of Glossy Accents - sometimes you have to just keep moving forward with a project!


The bottles do gleam in the sunlight - but I've got some ideas about how to get them glassier next time so watch this space in the future!


And who knows what strange concoctions are inside?  That the apothecary keeps to himself - the only clues lie in those scribbled formulae and equations...


Remember, you can click on the links in the text if you'd like to go shopping! Thanks so much for stopping by today, and I'll see you again soon.

Alison xx

26 comments:

  1. Oh, the different shapes are wonderful... the bottles have gone on my list after your transformation. Gorgeous glossy colours and the crackle as always is spectacular and all on a little ATC! Stunning work Alison. Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable those bottles are and you made them look spectacular! Love this ATC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those bottles and the shine and glossy finish is gorgeous. Adore the colours and the crackle on the ATC is yummy. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the sentiment is just perfect!! It looks like my bathroom when I bring the hair dye out...LOL! I love ALL the shimmer and crackle you've brought to this; especially after seeing the before photo. Nicely done Alison :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, incredible Alison! Your shading on the little bottles is incredible and the addition of the glossy accents really adds to the look, at first I actually thought they were rounded! Well freaking done!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colours are just magical, those bottles look so real... I love what you've done with these xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those intense colours are amazing Alsion - stunning work. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic crackle background Alison and beautiful bottle shapes that you used so well

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thos little bottles are amazing Alison ! Love it together with the crackled background, perfection !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my - can't believe the detail in this and its only ATC sized - awesome work Alison - love it to bits xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those tiny bottles. The stamped background really turned out well on the crackle paint. Hugs -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whether they are in the position you wanted.... they look absolutely amazing! I love the crackled background and your treatment of the bottles looks fantastic! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun, Alison! I love all things apothecary, bottles, and blue....so this definitely tickled my fancies in those departments! Brilliant idea about the interference paints - very effective. And great sentiment! Definitely adopting that one for my bathroom mirror, lol! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love what you did with the bottles, they look great against that crackled background!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those bottles look amazing Alison! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alison, your bottles are absolutely splendid!! I mean- incredibly splendid!! I love them! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful creation, Alison, love your idea !! And that texture is to die for. Pinned this on my pinterst board :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a little gem of an ATC! More glossy - how is that possible, Alison...alchemy? I love this project so much! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alison your ATC is gorgeous. Love the crackled background and the way you painted the mini bottles. Great idea to cover them with Glossy Accent....
    I'm excited to see what you have in mind for a more glossy finish... Clear embossing powder, translucent paste, clear film ??? Will keep en eye on your future posts...lol
    Thank you for sharing your lovely project.
    Hugs from Monica... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I saw the picture at the top I thought - 'Nope! can't be wood! ' - but oh yes!! - the Alison magic has been to work again! Amazing!! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all the shining under the sun. Great make, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful Alison, I think you achieved your goal admirably!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh MY ! dear Alison, what a fantastic crackle, and the bottles, so shiny and sweet different in shape, just looks like real glass bottles ! Stunning it is ,and very gorgeous in colour tones ,too.
    Hugs from me.

    ReplyDelete